EMPLOYED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITES (EID) PROGRAM
*How to Apply After June 15, 2012*
The Employed Individuals with Disabilities (EID) Program provides Medical Assistance (Medicaid) to Marylanders with disabilities who work for pay and meet several other conditions. To be eligible, a person must:
- Have a disability that meets Social Security’s medical criteria for adults
- Be 18 – 64 years old
- Be a U. S. citizen or qualified alien
- Work for pay
- Meet the income limit (earnings may be as high as $68,052/year for an unmarried individual and $91,812/year for a married couple, but less if the applicant has other income, such as Social Security checks)
- Have resources (assets) under $10,000. Resources include cash, bank accounts, stocks, other investments, some life insurance and retirement funds, and real estate other than your primary home. Resources do NOT include your primary home, motor vehicles, and certain retirement accounts (401(k), 403(b), pension, Keogh)
The monthly premium is on a sliding scale from $0 - $55.
Medical Assistance through EID:
- Provides comprehensive coverage to people who are otherwise uninsured
- Supplements private insurance, covering some services the private insurance does not
- Supplements Medicare by eliminating the Medicare out-of-pocket costs, which can save you $1,000 to over $12,000 per year
The EID program will be continuing indefinitely, but the EID Outreach Project – which has assisted people to apply for EID since 2008 - will be ending on June 30, 2012 due to the end of the Medicaid Infrastructure Grant that has funded it. The Project will continue to help people apply for EID through June 15, 2012.
After June 15, 2012, Marylanders with disabilities will be able to apply for EID on their own or with help from other agencies.
The Maryland Department of Disabilities (MDOD) web site provides an electronic version of the EID application, with instructions for completing and submitting it, at http://www.mdod.maryland.gov/Jobseekers.aspx?id=2210. The electronic application can be downloaded, completed, printed and saved. Although the application must be printed and mailed, it should also be saved on your computer. When you enroll in EID, you must reapply every six months. Having the saved application on your computer makes it easy to update the information every six months when you need to reapply. If you prefer, you can complete a paper application.
What if you need help applying or don’t have a computer? You can contact the Center for Independent Living closest to you for free assistance, and Holly Community, Inc. if you live on the Eastern Shore. See the list below.
If you have questions about the status of your EID application, you can contact the Division of Eligibility and Waiver Services (DEWS) at 410-767-7090. DEWS determines eligibility for EID.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE EMPLOYED INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES PROGRAM.
Agencies That Can Help You Apply
Allegany, Garrett & Washington Counties:
Resources for Independence, Inc.
30 North Mechanic Street, Unit B
Cumberland, MD 21502
Phone: 301-784-1774 Fax: 301-784-1776
TTY: 711 Toll Free: 800-371-1986
Anne Arundel & Howard Counties:
Accessible Resources for Independence, Inc.
Center for Independent Living for Anne Arundel and Howard County
810 Nursery Road, Suite I
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Baltimore City, Baltimore & Harford Counties
Independent Marylanders Achieving Growth through Empowerment (The Image Center)
300 E. Joppa Road, Suite 302
Towson, MD 21286
Calvert, Charles & St. Mary’s Counties:
Southern MD Center for Independent Living, Inc.
38588 Brett Way, Suite 2
Mechanicsville, MD 20622
Phone: 301-884-4498/5110 TTY: 711
Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico & Worchester Counties:
Holly Community, Inc.
909 Progress Circle, Suite 300
Salisbury, MD 21804
Phone: 443-260-0822 TTY: 711
Carroll & Frederick Counties:
The Freedom Center, Inc.
14 W. Patrick Street, Suite 10
Frederick, MD 21701
Phone: 301-846-7811; Fax: 301-846-9070
Montgomery & Prince George’s Counties:
Independence Now, Inc.
12301 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904
Back To Top